First Lady Suite Lighting Design
R-S Theatrics presented First Lady Suite, directed by Shualee Cook, in September 2014.
The show consists of several vignettes each of which starts in a relatively real place (usually an airplane), and moves into one character's dream or fantasy or imagination.
I used sharply edged white light to identify (and show the limits of) the real place, and more colors of light, with no (or less clear) boundaries, for the dreams.
The photos below show:
- The first part of the vignette called Over Texas, which takes place in a cabin of Air Force One
- Later in the same vignette, when Mary Gallagher (Katie Donnelly) is imagining being with Jackie Kennedy (Christina Rios) in the Dallas motorcade
- The beginning of the vignette Eleanor Sleeps Here, in Amelia Earhart (Belinda Quimby)'sairplane (The cabin is on the mainstage and the wing is on the thrust toward the audience)
- Later in that vignette, when Lorena Hickok (Rachel Hanks) is imagining having walked out onto the wing, while she is talking about Eleanor Roosevelt (Kay Love), who is looking back at whre Lorena "really" is in the rear of the plane
- Lorena and Eleanor both remeniscing about the same event, but separately (photo by Gerry Love)